Choosing an Adoption Attorney
1. How soon do I want to adopt?
The entire adoption process will typically take around 1-2 years to complete. This is something you and your spouse need to keep in mind when thinking about when you want your new bundle of joy in your home.
2. Would you be able to work with this person as your adoption attorney for over a year?
You need to ask yourself whether or not you will be able to work with the adoption attorney on a weekly basis for 1-2 years. It should be someone you feel comfortable working with, as well as someone you trust.
3. How many other clients does the adoption attorney have?
You should make sure that the adoption attorney you choose will be able to answer any questions you have and address any emergencies that you have during the adoption process. If they have too many clients already, this may not be possible for them.
4. Does the attorney specialize in adoption law?
You should choose an adoption attorney who has many years of experience working with adoption law. It shouldn't just be an attorney who will take any case that comes to them.
5. How much does the adoption attorney charge for their services?
Even though you know you want to adopt, you need to consider whether or not it's financially feasible for you and your spouse to pay for an adoption attorney throughout the adoption process in addition to the other costs of adoption.
6. How can the adoption attorney help you?
An adoption attorney can help to make sure that the adoption agency you choose is working within their legal jurisdiction for the area. The attorney will also make sure that all necessary documents are completed and submitted on time.
7. Does the adoption attorney have connections with adoption agencies?
You should choose an adoption attorney that has connections with adoption agencies so that you all can work together throughout the adoption process.